Not everybody ages at the same rate, which is partly down to genetics and partly due to lifestyle factors, but, with a good skincare regime and a healthy lifestyle, it’s possible to achieve refreshed, glowing skin. Here, we list our top five tips for maintaining beautifully healthy skin...
1. Keep hydrated
Some would argue that water is the ultimate skin supporter as dehydrated skin can appear far older than it really is. Without good moisture levels, the natural aging process causes the skin’s oil glands to work less effectively, leading to dry, depleted skin and wrinkles, so drink the recommended eight glasses of water a day to hydrate your skin from the inside and moisturize daily to keep it hydrated from the outside. Not only will drinking plenty of water help to keep your skin plump and supple but it will flush out toxins for a rejuvenated, glowing complexion.
2. Maintain a good skincare regime
Follow a simple three-step regime of cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing and your skin should glow with health.
- Find a good cleanser that suits your skin type and cleanse twice a day - at night to remove dirt and make-up and to allow active ingredients in your night moisturizer to deeply penetrate the skin, and in the morning to wash away excess sebum and dead skin cells accumulated during the night.
- Depending on your skin type, you may want to exfoliate once or twice a week to rid the skin of dead cells which would otherwise lie on the surface of the skin, giving you a dull, grey complexion and slowing the rate of skin cell turnover.
- Moisturize your skin after cleansing and exfoliating to keep it well hydrated, supple and smooth. Make sure your day cream contains an SPF of at least 15 to protect it from the sun’s harmful rays.
3. Exercise regularly
Not only is regular exercise essential to overall health, it improves the tone of your skin too. Cardio work that causes the heart to pump improves blood circulation, which will give your complexion a healthy, rosy glow. The increased blood flow will also nourish cells, providing them with the oxygen and nutrients vital to keep them working, and carry away waste such as free radicals.
4. Up your antioxidant intake
There’s no overstating the benefits of antioxidants for your skin. They have an important role scavenging free radicals and stimulating the production of collagen to help keep the skin looking vibrant and youthful. To maintain a good intake of antioxidants, choose foods rich in them such as nuts, beans and berries, and invest in a skincare supplement containing powerful antioxidants like MitoQ.
5. Reduce Stress
Stress isn’t only bad for our emotional and mental but can manifest itself in your skin too. It may affect the lipid barrier function, leading to dull, dry or dehydrated skin and heightened sensitivity. The resulting redness gives the skin an uneven tone and texture and a lack of radiance.
By being mindful of these five tips and implementing them into your everyday routine, you’ll soon begin seeing a difference. The upper layer of your skin rejuvenates every 4-6 weeks, so it’s important that you keep the momentum going in order to see any real benefit. Be patient, your future self will thank you for it.
Your skin and mitochondria, what's the connection?
Your skin is one of your biggest organs, made up of millions of cells. Inside each of these are mitochondria. They're the power-plants of your cells generating the energy they need to keep your skin and body healthy. As we age, the mitochondria start to decline in function. Click on the link below to learn more about how you can support your mitochondria and age like a pro.